THE RESIDENCES of Mme de Pompadour

zoom


The view of Etiolles Castle before its destruction.
zoom

The Étiolles Castle (map)

After her marriage Madame de Pompadour lived there until she went at the court of France.

Her husband Charles Le Normand had bought the Castle in 1684, 12 December, from Marie Lorthon a widower.

Placed on the left shore of the river Seine, the castle was closed to the forest of Menars where the King went hunting.

It was there that Louis XV noticed Jeanne-Antoinette for the first time. The Marchioness built a private theatre in the Castle, where she began performing.

 

http://www.madamedepompadour.com